Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Don't Make Me Cry...

She called out for her son. He came rushing. She lay there, cupping his face in her hands.

"You've never needed me in your life. You're a strong and independent son. The only thing you did rely on me for was the emotional support you needed to get through the tough phases of your life. That is a surmise based on the tears that I see rolling down your cheek. We both had each other, and then we spread our family. They're all yours now, son.

There is just one last thing to say - After I die, whenever you cry, I'll cry along with you. Son I just have one request before I go - Please don't make me cry anymore. You never did, and I want you to continue being the same.

I cried a lot in my life. As a girl, when I was teased by the other kids for being shabby for wearing worn out uniforms - I cried, but never told my dad about it. He took two jobs for making ends meet, but I never told him.

Next came the time when I made it to college somehow. I was a talented writer, so professional degrees were of no use to me. I was forced to study finance, to not leave room in my life for the plight my father faced. For five years son, I cried every day.

Your father supported me emotionally through it all. We dated for about 2 years before marriage. I loved him, but he took me for granted sometimes. He took away some of my tears, but added a few too. I won't complain, though. He was a wonderful man, and I still love him. Most importantly, he is the reason you turned out so beautifully.

I had you two years into my marriage. Baby, you were the best thing that I could ever expect from my life. I had to give up my career, but I didn't care. You were worth it. I cried when you were born - the only exception when my tears weren't out of sadness.

Your father left us early. He walked out of the house when you were just ten years old. I had yet to re-start my career. I was left alone to feed us both. I put you to sleep and cried that whole night, ready to look for a job - any job, the next day.

I ended up making use of my finance degree to get a job with a decent pay. It was hard to coordinate my family with work. I cried every day, when I saw that sad look on your face. You missed your father so much, and I was not there for you anymore. I had to work, for us.

A few years later, when we were well off on our own, I looked back and regretted a few of my tears which I wasted during my studies. After all, it helped me - it helped us in the long run. Even though my writing career was done with, I continued writing for personal purposes. I helped you with your English assignments, SOPs and essays. You went abroad for studies. I was happy for you, but left alone again. I controlled my tears and let you go. I had all the time to myself. I ended up missing your father, and I cried again.

Years passed by, and I had a wonderful relationship with you and your beautiful family. You are the only one I trust to not make me cry. You being here is a proof of that.

So after I die, whenever you cry, I'll cry along with you. Please don't make me cry anymore. You never did, and I trust that you never will."

She closed her eyes and lay down, waiting to rest in peace forever.

3 comments: