Thursday, January 31, 2013

Lighten Up!

I have a little sister, five years younger to me. Today, she graduated high school. In another five months, she will be in her first year of college. Suddenly it hit me, that it has been five years since I passed that phase.

In high school, we weren't strung on to things that happened to us five years back; but somehow, we are now. Some things that happened in the first or second year of college are still stuck to my heart with a pretty effective glue.

That little fight between three friends during the last phase of the first year of college. The grudge still carries on till date. How can we be so unforgiving?

It was a pleasant rainy day. The showers came to a halt for a while, and so it began. We went out for the usual stroll in the campus. Suddenly, her phone rang. She had to leave to spend the wonderful day with her better half.

My friend and I had a load of time to spend with each other ever since she had started dating. Both of us bore a dejected feeling, but didn't admit to it. We carried on making the best of our time, or at least giving it our best shot.

Days went by and I got lost into other friendships. The magical days were over. The three of us had split.

Nevertheless, we found company; but never too permanent. He used to come see me every day. I thought I knew him well. But one day, he didn't turn up. I was worried. Turns out he had woken up that day and decided not to show up anymore. Worst part is, he didn't even care.

I tried looking for more connections, but a half-hearted attempt was being made. It went on for so long, that I started believing there was something wrong with me.

I did learn my lesson - of not giving up on myself. Someone else came along, after my cause felt lost. It felt right, the way he never gave up on my happiness. The person who takes up all the pain from you is the one to be described with the least words, and through the maximum feelings. I'll leave it to that.

I found a few more connections, but none of them as real. Some left, some got lost; but somehow, I reminisce all of them with equal fondness. I had categorized the connections into relevant and OKAY relevant; but why did they all come gushing down my mind like a downstream river?

There are many things that you cannot, will not forget in life. You certainly grow up; but you never forget the first few real friends you made, your first falling out, the first time someone leaves you, and the first time someone rescues you from all of it. It stays in your heart and mind all your life. It's like the 'soul-mate' you may still often think of.

No comments:

Post a Comment