Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Choose Your Couple...

I sat outside a cafe, ready to start writing. Writing - The only one thing that I love to bits.

Somehow, I felt like I should take a break from the heavy, and go for the light-hearted humor. I began looking around, struggling hard to look for 'that' perfect couple.

Couple 1: 

Meeting fixed by the parents (for considering each other as prospects for marriage. Yes, the ridiculous concept of arranged marriage). The girl, about 23 years old and extremely pretty, was trying her best to be coy and nice. I could read from her fake smile how much she hated this. The guy, however, was not quite the hunk. He looked around uncomfortably. 

"I don't like this song at all", said the girl, about the beautiful song playing in the cafe.
Guy, to himself, "I'm guessing I should ask the server to change to something more Backstreet Boy-ish; I cannot marry her. She has a miserable music taste! She's pretty, and I may never get a girl like that. But she's not the one. She just said something negative abut a Foo Fighters song. She can't be it".
"It's just fine, I guess", he mumbled in reply.

Both of them take a sip of coffee.

The girl had ordered a caramel coffee, while the guy went for the simple and nice Irish coffee without the Irish part (if you know what I mean).

"So, read a book recently?" The guy tries to strike a conversation, and apparently that's his idea of small talk. I wish I could tell the poor soul that he was inviting a mood-breaking reply.
"I just finished reading the last part of Twilight. It was so awesome!" she jumped with excitement.
The guy silently went back to his coffee, wishing he had never asked.

"Your profile said that you love playing the guitar. Can you play Bryan Adams?" Here came the question that he dreaded!
"Umm, no, I'm not much into pop", he shifted down in his chair a little. Boy the discomfort!

Sip by sip, the conversation got more awkward. Two extremely opposite individuals were trying to make small talk. Good heavens.


Couple 2:

A couple entered the cafe, holding hands. They sat right next to where I was sitting. They seemed cute and nauseating at the same time. Love was definitely in the air between them (needless to say, there wasn't much).

He ordered for both of them, and she seemed to love his choice. She played on his phone as he stared at her, running his fingers through her hair and looking at her like his two year old. The affection, protectiveness and possessiveness came bouncing right out of his eyes. 

"When we move in, I'll gift you a new phone. Then you can play all those games on it and probably stop stealing mine all the time", he teased her.
"We don't do gifts! Don't even think about it. I will never stop playing with your phone anyway", she replied, still engaged in the game.

The dessert he ordered arrived, and they began eating it. With every bite, I could see that they were meant to be. It was just the aura they had around themselves; full of joy - something quite rarely found.


A genuine plea to all who are reading - If you have the chance to look for love, do try. Don't give up just because someone broke your heart, or you're too lazy. The choice is absolutely yours - You can end up being in an awkward couple, or a couple where the two people love each other, even when they hate each other (Credits: Grey's Anatomy).

No comments:

Post a Comment